The Five Elements To Look Holiday Ready
Written By: Erin Stoll
The holidays are here! After years of being at home, I am so excited to celebrate and wear all the fun outfits.
Don’t stress! I know that getting ready for holiday parties can feel a little overwhelming, especially when we’ve been spending so much time in our sweats.
Let me give you the great news. No, you don’t have to spend a lot of money on a whole new outfit. When it comes to being holiday ready, I believe there are five elements you can bring into any outfit to make it look festive: Sparkle/Shine, Pops of Color, Fur, Plaid, and Velvet.
(And I’ll bet that you already have most or all of these elements in your closet!)
I always say the key to looking great is to not overthink it or try too hard. The simpler, the better. Think about one of your upcoming holiday events. Now, I want you to grab your favorite black dress or your favorite jeans and a pretty top. Next, we’ll add one of five elements to that outfit, and you’ll be holiday ready in no time! With each of these elements, you can go as big and bold as you want or keep it really subtle and subdued.
- For sparkle and shine, think about accessories. Jewelry, shoes, and bags are an easy and inexpensive way to make your outfit look holiday ready. It can be as simple as a pair of sequin, diamond, or metallic earrings. You can also add a metallic shoe or clutch in silver or gold.
- Add a splash of color. Pops of red and green always look festive! Keep it simple and apply a really bold red to your lips and nails, or find a red or green blazer to toss over your dress. The key here is to pick one or two festive colors. If you have a green pant or blazer, keep the accessories simple and add one pop of red on your lips or nails. Mixing too much red and green can look costumey.
- If you have a fur coat, now is the time to let it shine! Other subtle ways to bring in this luxe element are a scarf or fur collar (Amazon has lots of inexpensive options) that you can toss over your coat or dress for a rich touch of texture.
- Plaid is another fun way to bring in a touch of holiday. Wear your holiday tartan plaid button-down with a beautiful black skirt or with an elevated pair of jeans and a heel. Plaid accessories around this time of year and can be found in shoes, purses, and even jewelry.
- Finally, velvet is a classic holiday fabric that can be found in everything from blazers to pants and dresses. Even the classic button-down can be found in velvet fabric. Wear it unbuttoned over a lace-trim camisole, and pair it with your favorite denim.
The key to looking balanced is to bring in just one or two of these elements to your outfit. My only exception to this rule: a bold red lip goes with anything. Happy Holidays!
Erin Stoll is a personal stylist and creator of Style Thief Fashion. Follow her on Instagram @stylethieffashion for more style tips.
GET HOLIDAY BEAUTY ISSUE TODAY! FEATURING CHRISTIE BRINKLEY
This jam-packed digital issue is available in digital and print! Immediate access to digital, get your copy today!